Bacon-Sharing, Small Plates & Booze
[NOTE: If you’ve been following, you haven’t missed a chapter. I just discovered I inadvertently had two Chapter 16s and corrected the numbering from that point forward.]
I hope I haven’t invited a ton of pollen into the house, but I just opened the window in the Man Cave, which everyone immediately flocked to…
My house sits on a hill, so the Man Cave has a treehouse feel. Roc is gazing out over the roofs behind us…
Confession time: I broke quarantine yesterday to zip to the ABC store because I wanted a martini with Downton Abbey. The store is new and roomy because it and the restaurant next door traded spots. Not everybody wore masks, but we stood apart and they had plexiglass up, tape and hand sanitizer and I was in and out in about three minutes with this…
It was the perfect complement to an evening where:
- Cousin Isabel gets verbally bitch-slapped in front of the whole family by Lord Merton’s odious son Larry, whom Tom Branson declares a “bastard” and orders from the house.
- Cousin Rose marries a nice Jewish boy named Atticus she’s known for five minutes.
- Rose’s mother Susan, who opposes the marriage, proves even more conniving than the resident scumbag, under-butler Thomas Barrow, when she stages compromising photos of Atticus with a hooker at his stag party.
- Thomas Barrow wears a white hat for once when he rescues the temporary footman from the Dowager Countess Violet’s maid Denker, whose secret hobby is luring young men to a gambling parlor so she can get drunk for free.
- Anna goes to jail, charged with pushing Tony Gillingham’s valet Mr. Green (who we learn was a career rapist) in front of a bus.
- Lady Edith brings Marigold home to raise as her ward after Cora concocts some cockamamie story. Robert almost immediately guesses the truth because he thinks the child resembles Michael Gregson. It’s unclear if it’s her vacant stare or seeming lack of awareness of her surroundings and anyone speaking to her.
- Lady Mary meets future Mr. Lady Mary, Henry Talbot, and beguiles him, as is her wont, with snarky banter while he’s trying to shoot grouse.
- Robert’s dog Isis sadly dies, yet her butt remains the first thing we see in the opening credits for the run of the show.
Today I awoke with a taste for junk food and had everything for a McMuffin meal, so why not? Immediately upon my taking bacon out of the microwave, Roc and Tony magically appeared, but you can see I had every intention of sharing…
Ever the impulsive kitty, Tony photobombed in the next split second. But he showed real class by going for the treat bowl rather than stealing larger bacon slices off my muffin…
A word about the orange plate, which is becoming a fixture on this blog. I read somewhere that you eat less from smaller, colorful plates. So I bought it and use it for most meals, even though there’s no shortage of dishes…
After eight faithful years of counting Weight Watchers points, I recently gave up because 1) I’m sick to death of it, and 2) During Trump’s time I’ve regained 35 of the 50 pounds I initially lost. I’ll probably stress-eat until he’s in prison or dead. I don’t care which, as long he’s silent.