Breakfast is problematic for me because 1) I’m a Weight Watcher and don’t want to start the day blowing a lot of points, 2) I don’t want to put a lot of work into it, and 3) I get bored easily.
One recent Sunday morning, I was sick to death of eating one pale scrambled egg with 2 whites (3 points), when I got the brilliant idea to make a frittata. A big frittata I could eat all week.
I threw a mess of chopped veggies into a Pam-coated 9-inch cast-iron skillet. You can use whatever vegetables you like. This time, it was baby bello mushrooms, a zucchini, red onion, and red bell pepper.
While the veggies cooked, I preheated the oven to 350° and beat 6 whole eggs.
(Usually, I add ½ cup of 2% shredded cheddar to the eggs, but I was so busy taking pictures, I forgot the cheese. I did sprinkle it on top before reheating the leftovers later and it was almost just as good.)
I used the cast-iron skillet because once the veggies were cooked, I poured the egg on them and placed the whole thing in the oven, but you can use any kind of baking dish. I do anything I can to minimize dish-washing.
It bakes for about 20 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when it’s all puffy. Let it go flat again before you cut in to it.
I divided it into quarters, which makes for good-sized servings. If you include the cheese, each quarter is only 4 WW points.
I stack the extra pieces between waxed paper and store them in the fridge. They reheat great on a piece of foil in the toaster oven at 350° for 20 minutes. But you could microwave them. I prefer the way the oven browns the cheese.
So that only leaves 3 days of the week to improvise. If you’re looking for ideas, here are my usual options. If you have more, please share them!
- fruit alone – blueberries, strawberries, banana, apple, orange – 0 points
- ½ cup Kashi® Go Lean® cereal with ½ container of plain Dannon Oikos® Greek yogurt (blech! — but flavor adds a point) topped with fruit – 3 points
- ¼-cup (dry) steel-cut oatmeal with ½ tsp. Smart Balance® butter spread – 4 points
- 2 whole-grain Eggo waffles with fresh fruit on top (no syrup) – 5 points
- 2 tbsp. Better’n Peanut Butter on a thin sandwich roll – 5 points
- 16 Wheat Thins with 2 tbsp. Sabra hummus – 5 points
- 1 oz. smoked salmon on a thin bagel with 1 oz. light cream cheese, onions, and capers – 6 points