After turning a deaf ear to families still suffering from the massacre at Virginia Tech, where a homicidal maniac named Cho killed 32 students and teachers before pumping himself full of lead — not to mention ignoring this week’s mass shooting in Chardon, Ohio, by a crazy armed teenager — Virginia governor Bob McDonnell repealed the law that limited people’s handgun purchases to one a month.
Poor souls were limited to just 12 guns a year. It simply isn’t enough when…
- You’re planning to play Russian Roulette at your next party, or
- You have inquisitive kids always looking for fun things to bring to school for Show and Tell, or
- You love hunting, but are such a bad shot you need an arsenal to make things even between you and the animals, or
- You love the bad-ass look the bulge of a piece gives you, or
- There’s a bank or 7-Eleven you’ve been itching to knock over, or
- You know someone who needs killing…
So Virginia is happy to help you arm yourself to the teeth.
A Richmond Times-Dispatch poll found that 66% of citizens want to keep the limit. But Virginia voters don’t matter now. McDonnell’s got bigger fish to blow away. He wants the hearts and minds of the neocon nutso fringe in his pocket as a bargaining chip for the Republican VP nomination.
McDonnell spouted the usual gibberish about the 2nd Amendment, and said the law was originally passed in the 1990s because East Coast gun-running used to be a problem.
Well, duh. Maybe gun-running is less prevalent today because THERE WAS A FREAKING LAW!
With typical Republican disregard for consequences, McDonnell’s marching us right back to the good old days where every crazy and criminal can own the armory of their dreams.